Saturday, June 29, 2013

A Smiling Post for a Smiling Coast

Salaamaleekum! The wait is over, I have met my fellow trainees, and we have all arrived to The Gambia. After one day of staging orientation in Philadelphia, and two very long plane rides, we have been welcomed with open arms to the smiling coast. First impression walking off the plane: crap, it’s hot. Second impression: they’re so nice! We went through customs with no incident and were gifted with hand fans for the heat. It’s really not even hot yet, humid 90s probably.
I do not as of yet know which language I am to learn. It will all depend on where my final site will be which is to be determined in the next week or so. The trainees will be taught wolof, mandinka, and pulaar, and we have already begun lessons in introductory greetings and vocabulary for all. Next week we will be placed in training villages. During that time we will study one of these three languages extensively while living with a host family and receiving lessons from a language and cross cultural facilitator. We will be given a Gambian name and become a member of a local family. This training time will continue until September 6, 2013 when we will be sworn in as volunteers.
I am quickly falling in love with this country. I’ve enjoyed the shade of a cashew tree and the fruit of a mango tree. I can genuinely say that I feel very welcomed and taken care of here. I certainly came in with a large number of fears, but now after meeting the people, that is not longer the case. I am excited for the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead, and I am comforted to know that I am in really good hands here.
I know this post is short and lacking in anything very juicy, but it’s what I can give in my limited time. It is unlikely that I will have access the internet again until September, but I just wanted to let you know that I am here, safe and smiling. While I won’t have internet access until September, I will be able to receive and write letters so pull out a stamp and drop me note!
Love and peace! 
PS Yesterday I saw monkeys and learned how to change bike tires. Today I will wash my clothing by hand. Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment