Thursday, September 19, 2013

Gelly-Gellies and School Days

Just a brief update here. I'm back in Kombo for a day or two with an ear infection. I saw the Peace Corps doctor this morning, recieved some medicine, and will make my way back to site tomorrow. I took public transportation here. Gelly-gellies, as they are called, are slightly longer than typical vans. They are often in less than mint condition. During training, my first gelly-gelly's side door fell off. The trip from my site to Kombo is about 120 miles but takes a good 6 hours. Yesterday took me 8 hours. Our driver hit a motorcycle at low speeds. No one was hurt, the bike didn't even fall over but there was damage. I then waited with 23 adults, 3 children, 1 infant, and 1 squaking chicken on the side of the road in a Lundvan sized vehicle while the drivers yelled at each other for 30 minutes. A cop arrives. Now 3 people yell at each other for 20 minutes. Suddenly they stopped, the driver came back, and we drove on.... until we suddenly pulled over at the police station for another hour. My Wolof helped me enough to find out that they needed money and did not have money. "I see. So when will they finish? What will they do?" I asked. -"They need money," someone replies. And we waited until suddenly they were finsihed, the driver returned, and I survived my first solo gelly-gelly experience.

I've been at site for less than two weeks. My initial impression is that the village is very social and supportive, and my school and headmaster are the best in The Gambia. We've been fast at work this first week of school to create action plans for committees and organize school based trainings throughout the year. I will be working with my headmaster and another teacher to lead a training on learner centered teaching and math methods of teaching primary grades. I've been getting to know the teachers and students. My school is supported by the Dutch Ngayen Sanjal School Fund. I've included a link to their website on my blog now. The students do not have to pay tuition to attend school, but they do need uniforms, pencils, paper, and some money for lunch. Through this organziation, the students recieve the assistance they need to not only go to school, but stay in school. The leader of the school fund came to visit last Friday. Gifts of money, mattresses, and even a goat or two were given to children and families. The organization has help fund the school's library, office and staff room, and solar panel. They are working to provide the families with solar lanterns so the children can do they homework at night.

I also added a wish list to my blog for those who have asked what they should send me. Packages are wonderful, and letters are my favorite.

That's all for now. I'll brave the gelly-gellies again tomorrow to head to site. Love and prayers.

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying reading this.
    And I'm glad you have a wish list posted! When I get around to sending you something I'll have to refer to it :)
    <3 Liz

    ReplyDelete