Friday, April 24, 2015

A Day in the Life

A typical village day looks like this

Wake up in my outdoor bed. Because my house is essentially an oven, I prefer to sleep outside where it is less hot.

I crawl out of bed and head to the pit latrine (toilet).


Then if I was a good Gambian, I would sweep my house every morning to prevent ants, mice, and roaches from making themselves at home. However, to be frank, I’m not winning this battle, and I’m doubtful daily sweeping would really give me the upper hand.


I make breakfast which most often consists of a tortilla made from scratch and coffee made possible by the wonderful people who mail me grounds to use of my French press. I usually put dege, the local peanut butter, and honey, also local, on my tortilla, but pictured here is Nutella. All yummy. 
I get dressed and walk between the baobab tree and termite mound on the path to school.

 A variety of tasks await me at school.


Such as work with my reading club




 Co-teach a lesson,
Or work with teachers to create resources and teaching aids.

I usually head out during 2 o’clock prayers to avoid congestion on the path.


While waiting for lunch to be ready, I’m probably either playing guitar

Hanging out with a 5 year old, 


Or doing this.


When lunch is ready, close to 3, the men receive their own foodbowl while I join my host mothers and sisters to eat rice using our hands.

I’m happiest when it’s benechin (pictured below), but we may be eating domada, a peanut sauce, or chu, an onion sauce.


After lunch I head back to school for a couple more hours. Returning home around 5:30, I am met by my welcoming crew.


Then I’m off to join the other women at the tap to fetch water.



Now that the sun isn’t so hot, I head out through the baobab trees and into
the bush for a run.



In the evening, I clean off with a bucket bath,


Help with some homework,



And then lay out under the stars with my family until 9 o'clock suppertime. It is almost always cheri which is made from pounded coos and corn. I love it.

Photo by Beth Eanelli

 
After supper, I head to bed with my fan, kindle, and flashlight, just the necessities


Nu faanan ak jaama. Be suba!
*Let's spend the night with peace. Until the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment